According to Wikipedia.... Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine's "natural" or un-paid ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users. SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search,news search and industry-specific vertical search engines.
As an Internet marketing strategy, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) considers how search engines work, what people search for, the actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines and which search engines are preferred by their targeted audience. Optimizing a website may involve editing its content and HTML and associated coding to both increase its relevance to specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities of search engines. Promoting a site to increase the number of backlinks, or inbound links, is another SEO tactic.The plural of the abbreviation SEO can refer to "search engine optimizers," those who provide SEO service.
Another BUZZ word: Social Media
Defined by Wikepedia: Social media can be defined as "interactive platforms via which individuals and communities create and share user-generated content”. Andreas Kaplan and Michael Haenlein define social media as "a group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0, and that allow the creation and exchange of user-generated content." I.e. Social media are social software which mediate human communication. When the technologies are in place, social media is ubiquitously accessible, and enabled by scalable communication techniques. In the year 2012, social media became one of the most powerful sources for news updates through platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
is making your website more visible to the world. Adding the right words to the right places on your website, connecting your website and business to internet directories (like Google Places, Yahoo Places, Bing, Manta...) and linking up to your Facebook business page and other Social Media (like LinkedIn, Twitter, Foursquare, etc.).
1. Promotion starts earlier than you think! Choose a domain name that reflects your business and area if possible. Example: www.ChapinWebDesign.com that is one that I have that points to my www.CarolinaWebDesignServices.com site.
2. Create a matching Facebook business page - they are FREE, then LINK that to your site
3. Create other social media accounts and link them to your site: Linked In, Twitter, etc.
4. Make sure you have a mobile version of your site - Duda.com does this free, and so do most hosts.
5. Regsiter on Google Places and other search sites
6. Email your friends, family, and busienss contacts a note that you are now open (and ask them to LIKE you on Facebook)
7.Add a link to your website when you update your Facebook posts (weekly)
8. Create a QR code to put on your maketing materials and invoices
9. Register at Brandify.com for your FREE analysis & recommendations
10. Promote your domain/URL/ Website address in your email signature with a hyperlink, on your business cards, invoices, everywhere!
Then once you have done all of the organic Search Engine Optimization (SEO) you can, I can teach you how to advertise on Google and Facebook. I have $100 Google AdWords certificates for my clients to use when they spend $25 on Google AdWords advertising. Please call or email me to get your $100 Google AdWords certificate! (803) 629-0101, or Nancy@CarolinaWebDesignServices.com.
Nancy Williamson, CBA. Certified Business Advisor for Carolina Web Design Services LLC
To put it simply, Social Media is any internet site (platform) that you "socialize" on, that allows interactive posts between you and someone else: Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. This is often a great FREE way to advertise your business and market to your family, friends, and acquaintances, who can then share your posts with their family, friends, and acquaintances, which can have a dynamic (viral) effect.